Original Sugar Cookies
|Sifted cake flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. Mix shortening with sugar, eggs, and vanilla until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour alternately with milk.
3. Refrigerate dough until easy to handle (you may hasten this by placing dough in freezing compartment).
4. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough, one-half or one-third at a time, to 1/8- or 1/4-inch thickness. For crisp cookies, roll dough paper thin. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator.
6. With floured cookie cutter or cardboard pattern, cut into desired shapes, keeping cuttings close together.
7. With broad spatula, place cookies, 1/2-inch apart, on lightly greased cookie sheets. If desired, brush with cream or with egg white diluted with water. Then, if desired, sprinkle with white or colored sugar, chopped nuts, flaked coconut, cut-up gumdrops, silver dragees, combined cinnamon and sugar, bits of candied fruits, etc.
8. Bake 9 minutes, or until delicate brown. Makes about 6 dozen.
Butterscotch-pecan cookies: Substitute 2 cups brown sugar, packed, for granulated sugar. Add 1 cup finely-chopped pecans with flour mixture in step 2.
Lemon sugar cookies: Substitute 4 teaspoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel for vanilla.