|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Double acting baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 , unbeaten|
|Decorator frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Red cinnamon candies||1 Tablespoon|
Make early on day:
1. Onto wax paper sift flour with salt, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. In bowl cream shortening with sugar and molasses until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolk, then flour mixture.
3. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
4. On lightly-floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Using floured gingerbread-boy cutter, cut out cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Cool on wire racks. Meanwhile, make Decorating Frosting.
7. When cool, decorate boys this way: With decorating bag and plain tube number 4, use frosting to make eyes, nose, mouth, and bowtie, as pictured. Also make 3 small white buttons on each, then press a cinnamon candy on each button. Makes 24 5-inch boys.
Decorating frosting: Into small bowl sift 1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar with 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar; add 1 egg white and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract; with mixer at high speed, beat until frosting holds its shape. Cover with a damp cloth.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4269 Calories from Fat 1477
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 166 g255.9%
Saturated Fat 38.5 g192.6%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg61.7%
Sodium 2771.6 mg115.5%
Total Carbohydrates 675 g224.9%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.3%
Sugars 420.9 g
Protein 29 g58.1%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 7.7%
Calcium 89.6% Iron 124%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet