|Canned almond paste||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (10X Confectioner's Powdered)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Red candied cherries||4 , quartered|
1. Grease a large cookie sheet; dust with flour; tap off any excess.
2. Break up almond paste with fingers and drop into a large bowl.
3. Add' egg whites, salt and vanilla. Beat at. low speed with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth and well blended.
4. Add confectioners' sugar slowly, continuing to beat at low speed, until a soft dough forms.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a #12 writing tip. Fill bag with dough.
6. Pipe dough out in 2 1/2 -inch rounds, or drop! by teaspoonfuls on prepared cookie sheet. (Macaroons will spread very little when they bake.)
7. Dip fingertip into water; pat over tops; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Decorate cookies with sliced almonds and cherries.
8. Bake in slow oven (325°) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Remove to wire racks with a spatula; pool; store between layers of wax paper in airtight metal tin