|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 stick)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Food coloring||3 Drop (Yellow, green and red)|
|Milk||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine with brown and .granulated sugars until fluffy in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, blending well to make a soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 3 equal portions; tint 1 portion yellow, 1 green and 1 pink, with food colorings.
4. Roll each portion of dough into a 9x5-inch rectangle between sheets of wax paper. Chill in freezer 10 minutes. Cut each piece of dough in half, lengthwise, cutting through wax paper. Peel off top sheets. Brush top of one strip lightly with milk; place a strip of another color, paper-side up, on top. Peel off paper. Repeat procedure with remaining dough strips, alternating colors, to make 6 layers. Press lightly together; cut finished stack lengthwise to make 2 narrow stacks. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil; refrigerate 3 hours, or overnight.
5. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4 inch slices with a sharp knife; place on cookie sheets.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 8 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.