|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 stick)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Food coloring||3 Drop (Yellow, green and red)|
|Milk||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine with brown and .granulated sugars until fluffy in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, blending well to make a soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 3 equal portions; tint 1 portion yellow, 1 green and 1 pink, with food colorings.
4. Roll each portion of dough into a 9x5-inch rectangle between sheets of wax paper. Chill in freezer 10 minutes. Cut each piece of dough in half, lengthwise, cutting through wax paper. Peel off top sheets. Brush top of one strip lightly with milk; place a strip of another color, paper-side up, on top. Peel off paper. Repeat procedure with remaining dough strips, alternating colors, to make 6 layers. Press lightly together; cut finished stack lengthwise to make 2 narrow stacks. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil; refrigerate 3 hours, or overnight.
5. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4 inch slices with a sharp knife; place on cookie sheets.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 8 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2436 Calories from Fat 872
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 99 g152.6%
Saturated Fat 60 g300%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 454.9 mg151.6%
Sodium 1291.7 mg53.8%
Total Carbohydrates 354 g118%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27%
Sugars 162.2 g
Protein 34 g67.4%
Vitamin A 61.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 38.7% Iron 75.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet