Filled Sand Dollars
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely snipped dates||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Packed)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts/Chopped almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the dough, cut the butter into the flour until crumbly. With your hands, work in the wheat germ, 3/4 cup sugar, and the salt.
3. For the filling, work the dates, orange rind, juice, nuts, and remaining sugar with spoon until most of juice has been absorbed.
4. Roll the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a floured 2 1/2-inch cutter.
5. Arrange half of the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Divide the filling among the rounds and top with remaining cookie rounds, pressing the edges together. Cut five small slits in the top of each cookie so that they resemble sand dollars.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove carefully to wire racks to cool (cookies are fragile).