|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 sticks)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Butter madeleine molds well; dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
2. Melt butter or margarine over low heat in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Pour into a 1-cup measure; let stand until solids settle to bottom.
3. Beat eggs with granulated sugar and lemon rind in the top of a large double boiler; place over simmering water. (Do not let water boil or touch bottom of pan.) Beat mixture with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and light, about 6 minutes; remove from water. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla.
4. Measure 3/4 cup of the clear liquid butter or margarine into another 1-cup measure; discard solids.
5. Fold flour into egg mixture, then fold in the liquid butter or margarine. Spoon into prepared molds, filling each half full. (Cover remaining batter and let stand at room temperature while baking first batch.)
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool 5 minutes in molds on wire racks. Loosen around edges with the tip of a small knife; turn out onto racks, tapping gently, if needed, to loosen from bottom. Cool completely. Repeat to make 24 Madeleines in all. Store in a covered container. Dust each cookie with a bit of 10X sugar before serving.