|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped toasted almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ornamental frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift flour, soda, salt, ginger, cirt-namom, cloves and cardamom onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine with sugar until fluffy in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; beat in molasses, orange rind and almonds. Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, blending well to make a stiff dough. Chill several hours, or overnight..
3. Roll out dough, a third at a time, to a 1/8 inch thickness, on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; cut into fancy shapes with floured 2-inch cookie cutters. Place, 1 inch apart, on lightly greased cookie sheets.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 7 minutes, or until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks with spatula; cool completely.
5. Make ornamental frosting. Fit a #2 writing tip onto a cake-decorating set; fill with frosting. Press out onto cookies in designs of your choice; let stand until frosting is firm. Store in metal tin.