Original Bara Brith
|Milk and water||1 Pint (Mixture)|
|Plain flour||2 Pound|
|Candied peel||1 Ounce|
|Mixed spice||1⁄4 Ounce|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Beat the eggs
2. Preheat the oven to 450°
3. Whisk the yeast into the lukewarm liquid and then mix in the flour and knead well
4. Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes till the dough is nearly double in size
5. Melt the lard and beat this into the dough while gradually adding the fruit and spices during the kneading process
6. Divide the dough into two and knead each piece into an oblong roll and press into a loaf tin. The tin should be 2/3 full
7. Prove the dough till double in size.
8. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350° F and continue cooking for another hour or until the loaf is thoroughly cooked.
9. Serve warm