Glazed Roast Gammon
|Gammon||3 Pound (1.5 kilogram, 1 piece from corner or middle)|
|Marmalade||60 Milliliter (4 tablespoons)|
|Demerara sugar||30 Milliliter|
|Dry cider||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5.
2. Weigh the gammon (ham) and calculate the cooking time as 20 minutes per 0.5 kg/1 lb plus 20 minutes over.
3. In a large pan place the gammon (ham) and cover with cold water.
4. Let it stand for several hours, preferably overnight.
5. Drain, cover with fresh cold water and bring to the boil.
6. Simmer gently for half the total cooking time, adding more water if the level becomes low.
7. Remove from the heat and drain off the water.
8. Cut the skin off the gammon (ham),score the fat and press in a few cloves.
9. In a roasting tin place the gammon (ham).
10. In a bowl mix the marmalade and sugar together and spread thickly over the cut surface of the gammon.
11. Cover the bottom of the tin with sufficient cider and roast in a preheated moderately hot oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
12. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly, then wrap in foil or cling film (saran wrap). Seal, label and freeze.
13. To serve the frozen dish, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
14. Serve cold, or reheat in a covered dish in the preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes or until heated through.