Continental Chocolate Cake
|Butter||4 Ounce, softened|
|Sugar||4 Ounce, sifted|
|Plain chocolate||4 Ounce, melted|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce|
|For chocolate icing|
|Plain chocolate||2 Ounce, broken into pieces|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon, sifted|
|Cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||1 Ounce, chopped|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 325 degrees.
2) Grease an oblong cake tin of 8x6-inches. Line the bottom with a greased greaseproof paper or non-stick parchment.
3) In a bowl, put the sugar and butter and beat well together till the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and egg yolks and stir well.
4) Fold the ground almonds into the mixture, along with the flour, till evenly blended.
5) Beat the egg whites till they are stiff and then fold them into the creamed mixture.
6) Into the prepared tin, spoon the mixture. Smooth the top.
7) In the preheated oven, bake the mixture for 1 ¾ to 2 hours, till a skewer inserted in the cake-'s center emerges clean.
8) Turn the hot cake out onto a wire rack and take off the paper lining. Leave the cake to cool.
9) If you wish to freeze the cake, it should be done at this point. First flash freeze the cake till it is firm and then pack it in a rigid container. Seal, label and store in the freezer.
10) To prepare the icing, in a heatproof bowl, put the water, chocolate and butter. Stand the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir well till melted.
11) Take the mixture off the heat and beat in the icing sugar along with the cocoa till a smooth mixture is formed. Let it cool.
12) If using frozen cake, first thaw it at room temperature for about 4 hours and then make the icing as directed in Steps 10 and 11.
13) Put the cake on a decorative serving platter, spread the icing all over and, if preferred, scatter tops almonds on top. Serve the cake slightly chilled or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3138 Calories from Fat 1886
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 216 g332.6%
Saturated Fat 111.6 g557.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1150.7 mg383.6%
Sodium 326.2 mg13.6%
Total Carbohydrates 290 g96.7%
Dietary Fiber 20.5 g82.2%
Sugars 238.7 g
Protein 52 g103.9%
Vitamin A 90.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 28.1% Iron 74.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet