|Granulated sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Vanilla essence/Any other flavoring of same quantity||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||30 Milliliter, softened (1-2 Tablespoon, 1 Milliliter Each)|
1) Slowly whisk the sugar into the egg yolks and further beating hard for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture has turned a pale yellow and, when a little of the mixture is lifted up and allowed to drop across the rest, it should form a slowly dissolving ribbon on the surface.
2) Fold well the cornflour, if you desire to use it (it acts as a minor safety net, allowing you to heat the custard a little more than you would otherwise be able to).
3) Heat the milk in a pan to boiling, and ladle it on to the egg yolks in a thin stream, while continuing to beat the egg yolk mixture continously.
4) Ladle the mixture into a saucepan and heat slowly, mixing all the while using a wooden spatula or spoon, making sure that you reach into every corner of the saucepan.
5) When the sauce coats the spoon as a light, creamy layer, it is done (165°F/ 75°C).
(This will be nowhere near simmering point, and may seem barely warm to you.)
6) Remove immediately off the heat and further whisk for a minute or two to cool the sauce a little.
7) Strain it through a fine sieve, and add flavour as you like : 1 teaspoon (5 ml spoon) vanilla essence for 'classic' custard, or 1 tablespoon (15 ml spoon) of rum, brandy, strong coffee, orange water or rose flower water and serve. .
8) Serve with Christmas pudding or any dessert which should be accompanied by a custard.
If you have to keep the custard warm before serving, leave it in a bowl over a saucepan of warm water.
For extra richness, beat in the softened unsalted butter at the last minute.
Calories 258 Calories from Fat 125
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 256.5 mg85.5%
Sodium 46 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.01 g0.04%
Sugars 26.2 g
Protein 6 g11.9%
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C
Calcium 12.8% Iron 3.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet