Relatively Quick Greens In Potlikker
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Ham hocks/Hog jowls||1 Pound, smoked|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large, slivered|
|Whole black peppercorns||12|
|Dried hot red peppers||2|
|Bay leaf||1 (Imported)|
|Greens||3 Pound, trimmed of tough stems and coarsely chopped (Collards, Kale, Mustard Or Turnip)|
|White distilled vinegar/Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon (As Required, For Serving)|
1) In a large saucepan, add oil and heat up over moderate heat.
2) Add the ham hocks, onions and garlic.
3) Cook by frequent stirring for 10 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
4) In a square of cheesecloth, tie the peppercorns, hot peppers, thyme, bay leaf and parsley.
5) Place into the saucepan along with 4 quarts of water.
6) Bring the water to a boil, skim if necessary.
7) Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
8) SautÃ© the greens and simmer, uncovered, for an hour or until tender.
9) In a bowl, transfer the greens.
10) Increase the heat to high and boil to reduce the liquid to 2 cups.
11) Place back the greens into the pot and heat up for 3 to 5 minutes.
12) In small bowls, ladle the greens and some potlikker.
13) Serve as a side dish and pass the vinegar in a cruet on the side to sprinkle on the greens.