Fumee De Cepes
|Dried crepes||9 Ounce, dried (250 gram)|
|Ripe tomatoes||5 , deseeded|
|Mirepoix||5 Ounce, diced (Carrots, Shallots, Onion, Celery And Leek- 50 Gram / 2 Ounce+ 50 Gram / 2 Ounce + 25 Gram / 1 Ounce Respectively)|
|Garlic clove||1⁄2 , finely sliced|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm)|
|Veal stock||3 1⁄2 Pint (2 Liters)|
|Ruby port||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter)|
|Cognac||2 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200° C / 400° F / Gas Mark 6.
2. In a large ovenproof dish, tip in the tomatoes, mirepoix, garlic, herbs and dried cepes.
3. Place the dish in the preheated oven at 200° C / 400° F / Gas Mark and brown the vegetables for 15 minutes
4. Prepare a large saucepan, and tip these vegetables into dish
5. Add veal stock, port and a little of the Cognac.
6. Bring the pan to the boil and simmer slowly for 2 hours
7. Strain this through muslin twice
8. Skim off any fat
9. Prepare the final sauce
10. In a large copper saucepan, heat the 200 ml / 7 fl oz of the mixture to reduce it by half
11. When the mixture coats the back of a spoon, turn off the heat
12. Add a more Cognac, and thicken with butter
13. Serve hot or cold as required