Welsh Bara Brith
|Plain flour||1 Pound, sifted (450 Gram)|
|Salt||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Currants||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Mixed candied peel||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Mixed spice||10 Milliliter, ground (2 Teaspoon)|
1. Let the oven heat to 275°F (140°C/Gas 1).
2. Into an ovenproof bowl add the flour and salt and warm in the oven for a few minutes.
3. In a saucepan warm the milk and in a bowl pour half of it on to the yeast, blending with a fork to form a paste.
4. On to the warmed flour pour the creamed yeast and with a fork mix well.
5. Along with the remaining milk melt the butter and add to the flour, mixing to a light dough and adding a little more warm milk if the dough is too dry.
6. In the bowl leave the dough, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
7. This normally takes 35-40 minutes at normal room temperature.
8. Take a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin, coat with grease and place in the oven to warm.
9. In an ovenproof bowl place the dried fruit, sugar, candied peel and spice and warm in the oven for a few minutes.
10. With your hands, in the bowl knead the fruit into the dough so that it is evenly distributed.
11. If the dough turns too stiff add a little more warm milk.
12. Place the dough in the warmed tin after shaping it.
13. Covering with a light cloth leave in a warm place until the dough has risen to the top of the tin which should take about 1—1 1/2 hours.
14. Let the oven heat to 400°F (200°C/Gas 6).
15. Let the loaf bake for 20-30 minutes.
16. For the last 10 minutes of cooking, cover the top of the loaf with foil.
17. Using a skewer test and, when firm, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Calories 476 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.3%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33 mg11%
Sodium 341.7 mg14.2%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.5%
Sugars 17 g
Protein 6 g12.5%
Vitamin A 8.5% Vitamin C 34.4%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 3.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet