Spicy Huevos Rancheros
|Tortillas||4 (Homemade / Packaged)|
|Lard/Cooking oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, peeled and minced|
|Minced sweet peppers/2 tablespoons minced hot green chili pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Green Ones)|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Canned tomato sauce||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 200°F before baking.
2. Take a large, heavy skillet, add 2 tbsp lard. Add tortillas and on moderately low heat, fry for about a minute for tortillas to soften. Transfer to paper towel, drain and transfer to heatproof plates. Keep in the oven.
3. Add eggs to the drippings and fry till egg whites are set. Top the tortillas and retain in the oven to keep warm.
4. Add onion and pepper to the rest of the lard and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in rest of the ingredients. Heat the mixture, stirring, till it starts bubbling. Lower the heat to minimum and without covering, simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Pour sauce over the eggs and serve immediately.