Lancashire Hot Pot
1. Clean and prepare meat and kidneys.
2. Parboil potatoes. Peel and cut into roundels.
3. Cut half of the onions into quarters and the other half into slices.
4. Dice carrots and turnip.
5. Heat fat. Brown meat and sliced onions. Add remaining ingredients except potatoes and cook till meat is fairly tender.
6. Arrange in a casserole dish with layers of vegetables, meat and potatoes with a thick layer of potatoes on top.
7. Pour stock over and cover with a lid or paper. Cook in a moderate oven for about 2 hours.
8. About 15 minutes before serving, remove the lid or paper to allow potatoes to brown.