First Prize Cake
|Madeira cake||1 (Bought Or Homemade)|
|Strawberry jam/Raspberry jam||6 Tablespoon|
|Butter cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Black food coloring||1 Teaspoon|
|Gold food coloring||1 Teaspoon|
1. Slice any dome off the top of the cake. Using a ruler as a guide, cut the cake vertically in half. Cut each half into 3 equal vertical slices and lay the slices together on their sides to make one large rectangle. Cut horizontally through the whole rectangle. Use the buttercream and half the jam to sandwich the cakes together, re-assembling them in the rectangle on the board. Spread the remaining jam over the top and sides of the cake.
2. Reserve 200 g (7 oz) of the white icing. Dust your work surface with icing sugar and roll out the remainder of the white icing to a rectangle that will cover the cake. Lift it over the cake, easing it down the sides and trimming off the excess around the base.
3. Make the trophy by rolling out the brown icing to a rectangle, 7.5 x 5 cm (3 x 2 inches), and place it on the top of the cake for the trophy stand, using a dampened paintbrush to secure it in position. Cut out a square of greaseproof paper, 10 x 10 cm (4x4 inches), and round off 2 corners to make the shape of a goblet. Roll out a small piece of grey icing and cut out a trophy base, about 5 cm (2 inches) deep and with curved sides. Secure it to the stand. Using the greaseproof paper shape as a template, cut out the goblet shape and secure in position. Roll out the remaining grey icing under the palms of your hands into thin ropes and bend them into handles and trimmings for the trophy base.
4. Lightly knead dots of black food colouring into the reserved white icing to make a marbled effect. Use this to cover the edges of the cake board, trimming off the excess around the edges.
5. Use the gold food colouring to add highlights to the trophy and stand. Secure the ribbon around the sides of the cake and position the rosette beside one of the handles. Secure more ribbon around the edges of the cake board.