|Butter/Shortening / margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped blanched almonds||1⁄2 Pound|
|Rose water||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Cream the butter, shortening or margarine; gradually add the sugar and beat until light and creamy.
2. Add the 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk, 1 at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add the lemon peel, salt, almonds and rose water and beat thoroughly. Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour and beat; add enough of the remaining flour, or more, to make a dough of the right consistency to roll.
3. Cover the dough with waxed paper and let it chill in the refrigerator 1 hour or more.
4. Start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub cookie sheets with margarine or shortening.
5. Roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured board; cut into desired shapes. Beat the second egg yolk with the milk and brush the tops of the cookies with the mixture. Place the cookies on the cookie sheets.
6. Bake about 8 minutes, until delicately browned.