Traditional Blanquette De Veau
|Celery stalks with leaves||1|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Small white onions||1 Pound, peeled|
|All purpose flour||5 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Trim fat from breast of veal, cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Remove the celery leaves from stalk; slice stalk; reserve. Tie the celery leaves, parsley, thyme and bay leaf in a small square of cheesecloth.
2. Place meat and herb bundle in kettle or Dutch oven; add water, salt and nutmeg. Heat to boiling; lower heat; cover. Simmer 45 minutes; add sliced celery and onions. Simmer 40 minutes longer, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
3. Remove and discard herb bundle. Transfer meat and vegetables to a shallow, heated, serving dish; cover and keep warm. Reduce the broth to 2 cups by boiling rapidly, uncovered, 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile remove and set aside stems from mushrooms. Saute caps in 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine in small skillet until nicely browned, about 5 minutes; remove; reserve.
5. Chop stems fine; saute in remaining butter or margarine in a large saucepan for 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook until bubbly. Gradually add reduced broth and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and bubbles 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Beat egg yolks slightly in a small bowl; slowly stir in 1 cup of hot sauce. Stir back into sauce in pan. Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Garnish with reserved mushroom caps and chopped pars ley.