Continental Meat Ball Pie
|Meat loaf mixture||1 1⁄2 Pound (Ground Beef, Pork, And Veal)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Hot italian sausages||2 , sliced 1/2 inch thick|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Spaghetti sauce mix||5 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Carrots||12 Small, pared and cut in 1-inch-long pieces|
|Zucchini||6 Small, washed and sliced 1 inch thick|
|Canned whole white onions||1 Pound, drained (1 Can)|
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
1. Shape meat-loaf mixture into about 18 balls; roll in flour to coat evenly. Brown in vegetable oil in a large frying pan; push to one side; add sausages and brown lightly.
2. Stir water, spaghetti-sauce mix, and tomato paste into frying pan; cover. Simmer 15 minutes.
3. Cook carrots and zucchini together in boiling salted water 15 minutes, or just until tender; drain well.
4. Spoon meat ball mixture, carrots and zucchini, and drained onions into a shallow 12-cup baking dish.
5. Prepare piecrust mix, following label directions, or make pastry from your own favorite two-crust recipe. Roll out to a rectangle, 15x12-inch; cut out 9 about 1-inch-wide strips.
6. Save 3 strips for rim of pie, then weave remaining over pie to make a criss-cross top; trim ends. Cover rim with saved strips, pressing down lightly all around. Cut out tiny fancy shapes from remaining pastry with a truffle or small cooky cutter. (Bake any leftover pastry for nibbles.)
7. Brush pastry strips with beaten egg; place cutouts around rim; brush again.
8. Bake in hot oven (425°) for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling bubbles up.