Roast Gammon with Spiced Ranberry Compote
|Gammon joint||2 1⁄4 Pound, smoked (Waitrose, weighing approx 1 kg)|
|Soft dark brown sugar||25 Milliliter (1 1/2 tbsp)|
|Mustard powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1.5 ml)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)|
|Clear honey||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Dried cranberries||75 Gram (Waitrose, 1 pack)|
|Orange||1 , grated rind and juice|
|Ginger wine||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
|Soft dark brown sugar||30 Milliliter (2 tbsp)|
|Arrowroot||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 tbsp)|
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 180° C, 350° F.
2. Race the joint in a roasting tin, and cover with foil.
3. Place it in preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus 30 minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix together glaze ingredients, except cloves.
5. Twenty minutes before the end of the cooking time, increase the oven temperature to 200° C, 400° F, and gas mark 6.
6. Cut string off the joint and peel away the rind.
7. Score the fat into diamonds, stud with cloves and spread glaze over the joint.
8. Return to the oven.
9. Cook uncovered, for 20 minutes, basting once or twice.
10. To make the compote, place the cranberries, orange rind and juice, ginger wine, ginger and sugar in a small pan.
11. Cover and simmer gently for15 minutes until cranberries are tender but not mushy.
12. In a small bowl, mix together arrowroot and water.
13. Add to cranberries and stirring, simmer until mixture thickens slightly.
14. Slice the gammon and serve hot with the compote.