Baked Fruit Compote
|Canned peach halves||34 Ounce (2 Cans Od 1 Pound 1 Ounce Size)|
|Canned pear halves||34 Ounce (2 Cans Of 1 Pound And 1 Ounce)|
|Canned whole figs||17 Ounce (1 Can Of 1 Pound And 1 Ounce)|
|Dried apricots||1⁄4 Pound (1 Cup)|
|Orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely grated|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Preserved ginger syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced, slivered|
1. In a large colander placed over a large bowl, drain all canned fruits; save the syrup and keep aside the fruits.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a medium saucepan, toss apricots in 1 cup of reserved syrup.
4. Heat and bring the mixture to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
6. In a large saucepan, pour remaining syrup (about 3 cups) and add orange peel and brown sugar.
7. Over medium heat, bring the liquids to boiling and then boil uncovered for about 35 minutes until it is reduced to about 2 cups.
8. Then add slivered ginger.
9. Place a fig in the cavity of 7 pear halves.
10. In a 2 1/2-quart heatproof mixing bowl, arrange the pears in spoke fashion, fig side down and rounded end at edge of bowl.
11. Drizzle 1 cup syrup over the pears.
12. Around the edge of the dish, arrange peach halves with the rounded side against bowl.
13. Place the remaining pears, peaches and apricots at the centre; pour the cooking liquids as well.
14. Pour all remaining syrup over fruit.
15. Place the dish in the oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly around edge.
16. Let the dish cool down slightly, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
17. Place a shallow glass serving bowl over the dish containing Baked Fruit Compote; invert carefully to preserve the fruit design.
Preparing and refrigerating the dish at least a day in advance will make the dish tasty.
Calories 202 Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.21 g0.32%
Saturated Fat 0.01 g0.07%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 12.3 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.2%
Sugars 42.8 g
Protein 0.95 g1.9%
Vitamin A 19.6% Vitamin C 10.6%
Calcium 4% Iron 10.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet