Compote Of Red Fruits
|Red currant||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Dark red cherries||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Raspberries/Loganberries||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
1) Wash the redcurrants, then using a fork, strip the berries from the stems.
2) Halve the cherries and stone them.
3) In a saucepan, place the redcurrants and cherries and add the sugar.
4) Cover the pan and place over low heat.
5) Shake the pan occasionally to help the sugar dissolve in the fruit juices.
6) When the juices are just beginning to boil, remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand covered for about 5 minutes.
7) This gives the fruit a chance to soften in the hot juices and, at the same time, avoids overcooking them.
8) Add the raspberries or loganberries and pour into a serving dish.
9) Cool, then chill.
10) Serve the chilled fruit compote as dessert.