Summer Fruit Compote
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned mandarin oranges||44 Ounce, drained, juice reserved (2 Cans, 22 Ounce Each)|
|Purple plums/Small red plums||1 Pound, halved, pits removed|
|Black grapes||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm) (Or 1 Small Bunch, About 20)|
|Ruby port||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fresh mint leaves||10 (For Garnish:)|
1. Make sure all the fruit is at room temperature.
2. In a large saucepan, mix the sugar, water, and 1 cup of the reserved Mandarin orange juice.
3. Place it over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer the syrup for 3 minutes.
5. Now add the blackberries and raspberries and poach for 15 seconds.
6. Take a large, pretty serving bowl and transfer the blackberries and raspberries.
7. Next, poach the grapes in the syrup for 45 seconds.
8. Add the grapes to the bowl too.
9. Add the Mandarin oranges to the bowl too and gently toss to mix everything.
10. Place the poaching syrup over brisk heat and boil it until reduced by half.
11. Allow it to cool and stir in the wine.
12. Spoon the liquid over the fruit in the serving bowl and chill the fruit.
13. Serve garnished with mint leaves.