|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package, Active Dry Or Compressed)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Poppy seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Melted semisweet chocolate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Heat milk to scalding point .Keep aside to cool to lukewarm
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour and mix in salt and sugar. Set aside
3. Grease a large baking sheet with oil or butter.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F 15 minutes before baking time.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add warm water and crumble in yeast.
6. Stir until yeast dissolves and you see bubbles appearing on the surface.
7. Add lukewarm milk mixture and beaten egg and mix well
8. Add flour mixture and beat for 2-3 minutes to make a soft dough.
9. Shape dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl.
10. Brush the top of dough with butter.
11. Cover bowl and let dough ferment in a warm area for 1 ½ hours until doubled in bulk.
12. In the meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling.
13. Turn the fermented dough out onto a floured surface and lightly punch.
14. Divide into two equal halves.
15. Roll out each half into a 16-inch X 12-inch rectangle.
16. Spread the prepared filling on one half and top with the other.
17. Transfer to greased baking sheet
18. Cover and place in a warm area to prove for 1 hour until well risen.
19. Bake in preheated oven for 20 -30 minutes until golden brown.
20. Remove and invert onto a wire rack and allow cooling
21. Cut into squared and serve bread warm with coffee or tea.
Calories 465 Calories from Fat 194
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.5%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 27.1 mg9%
Sodium 140.4 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g29%
Sugars 24.5 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 0.65%
Calcium 29% Iron 23.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet