Cod And Crab Gratin
|Waxy new potatoes||8 Ounce|
|Milk||6 Fluid Ounce|
|Cod fillet||10 Ounce, skinned|
|Button mushrooms||4 Ounce|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon|
|White crab meat||4 Ounce|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce|
|Small broccoli florets||5 Ounce|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a saucepan of cold salted water, add thickly sliced potatoes. Bring to the boil and cook for about 10 minutes until just tender. Drain the potatoes and refresh under cold running water.
2. In a small saucepan, add milk, peppercorns and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cut the cod into 1 inch pieces, add to the pan and poach for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
3. Slice the mushrooms. Melt half the butter in a small pan, add the mushrooms and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
4. In the bottom of an ovenproof dish, place the cod, cover with foil and keep warm. Strain the milk mixture. Discard the bay leaf and peppercorns.
5. Into the mushroom mixture, stir the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the reserved milk until smooth, stirring constantly, and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened and smooth.
6. Stir in the crab meat, mustard, parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat through gently. Pour over the cod and level with a palette knife.
7. Preheat the grill. Arrange the potatoes over the crab mixture. Grate the cheese and sprinkle on top. Grill for 2-3 minutes until hot & bubbling.
8. In a frying pan, heat the remaining butter and 2 tablespoons of water, add broccoli and quick fry for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
9. Serve gratin at once with broccoli.