A sprinkling of coconut goes a long way towards transforming your dishes from plain to extraordinary. However, toasted coconut is usually covered in sugar. This Low Carb Toasted Coconut recipe from Kent Altena shows you a much healthier version, one that will fit your low carb diet.
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, melt the coconut oil. Add the coconut.
3. Spread out on foil-lined sheet pan/cookie sheet.
4. Place in oven for four minutes.
5. Stir the coconut and bake for another four minutes.
6. Remove from oven and add Splenda and mix together.
7. Allow to cool and use as required in cooking or store in a zip lock bag or an air tight container until required.
Toasted coconut is such a wonderful addition to and garnish for coconut based dessert recipes. There are many commercial sweetened toasted coconuts available in the market, but those contain a lot of sugar. If you need a low carb alternative, watch this Atkins diet cooking video, where Kent Altena shows you how to make a low-carb diet version of toasted coconut that uses zero calorie sugar.