|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsifted|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk/Sour milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a medium dry bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Keep aside.
2. Preheat the waffle iron to medium.
3. In a large bowl, combine melted butter or margarine, oil, cocoa and sugar.
4. Beat with a wire whisk or electric beater.
5. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until thick and well blended.
6. While whisking constantly but lightly, fold in the dry ingredients, alternately adding buttermilk or sour milk to adjust the consistency.
7. Once the batter is smooth keep aside and let stand. You can make the batter the previous night if you like.
8. To a clean dry bowl, add the egg whites.
9. Use a ladle or a measure cup to pour 2/3 cup batter in the center of the preheated waffle iron.
10. Spread batter evenly on the grid, Â½ inch from the edge of the iron, using the back of a spoon.
11. Close iron lid and bake the waffle until crisp. This can take about 3 to 4 minutes.
12. Remove onto a serving plate and repeat to make remaining waffles.
13. Serve waffles immediately, as they are being made, with your favorite toppings.