Martini Pot Roast
|Corn oil||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pepper white||1 Teaspoon|
|Pot roast||3 Pound, pounded|
|Dry vermouth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Beef stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Juniper berries||2 Tablespoon, dried|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Potatoes||4 Small, peeled|
1) In a paper bag, mix flour and white pepper.
2) To this, add the pot roast and shake well to coat with the flour mixture.
3) In a large heavy iron skillet, heat the corn oil, until the pan is very hot.
4) In the hot skillet, put the floured roast.
5) Over medium heat, brown, turning frequently, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the roast turns dark, burned-looking brown.
6) To this, add 1/2 cup of the vermouth.
7) Simmer until the vermouth cooks and dissolves.
8) Now, turn the pot roast over.
9) To this, add another 1/2 cup of vermouth and simmer until dry. Repeat this once more.
10) In a bowl, combine the beef stock, juniper berries, basil, marjoram, thyme and bay leaves. Mix thoroughly.
11) Over the pot roast in the skillet, pour the beef stock mixture.
12) Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
13) To this, gradually add the potatoes, onions and carrots, and cook till soft.
14) This pot roast tastes excellent with egg noodles. Serve hot.