Zuppa Di Vongole
|Olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (Scant)|
|Dry white wine||6 Tablespoon|
|Ripe firm tomatoes||3 Pound, peeled, seeded, gently squeezed of excess juice and coarsely chopped|
|Hard shell clams/Cockles / mussels||24 Small (2 Dozen, In Their Shells)|
|Boiling water||3⁄8 Pint|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium sized, heavy bottomed pan heat olive oil, add garlic and cook over moderate heat for about 30 seconds, stirring in between.
2. Pour in the wine, add tomatoes and bring it to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and cook it for 10 minutes, covering partially.
4. Scrub and thoroughly clean the clams.
5. In a large heavy bottomed pan boil 1/8 inch water (about 1/2 pint) and put in the clams.
6. Put a tight fitting lid and steam the clams on high heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until they open.
7. With a perforated spoon transfer the clams to 4 large heated soup plates with their shells.
8. Line a fine sieve with cheese cloth and strain the clam juice from the pan into the simmering tomatoes.
9. Keep cooking for 1 - 2 minutes and then remove.
10. Pour the soup over the clams, sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve immediately with a crusty bread or crostini.