Steamer Clams Remoulade
|Clams||3 Pound (Small soft-shell or Long-neck, steamer-4 nos.)|
|Fresh parsley sprigs||4|
|Celery leaves||2 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Freshly made mayonnaise/Unsweetened bottled mayonnaise substitute - 1 1/2 cups||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Onion||2 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon, strained|
|Prepared mustard||1 Tablespoon|
1. To prepare the clams wash them thoroughly under cold running water, discarding any with broken shells as well as those whose necks do not retract when prodded gently with a finger.
2. In an 8- to 10-quart steamer or casserole combine the parsley sprigs, celery leaves and water and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Steam adding the clams and covering tightly for 5 to 8 minutes turning the clams about in the pot once or twice with a slotted spoon.
4. Check if all the shells open, discard any clams that remain shut and transfer the clams to a plate.
5. Through a fine sieve strain the clam broth and reserve it for consomme Bellevue or another use.
6. Remove the clams from their shells and cut off and discard the long black necks or siphons.
7. Set a sieve or colander under cold running water, wash the clams briefly spread them on paper towels to drain and pat them completely dry with fresh towels.
8. In a deep bowl, stir the mayonnaise, onion, chopped parsley, lemon juice and mustard together until well blended.
9. Add the clams and turn them about with a spoon to coat them evenly with the remoulade.
10. With plastic wrap or foil cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
11. Shape the chilled lettuce leaves into cups on individual serving plates and spoon the clams remoulade into the cups in equal portions if desired and serve.