Steamed Clams Alentejo
|Clams||3 Dozen (Littleneck, As Small As Possible)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Fruity)|
|Prosciutto di parma||4 Ounce, thinly shredded|
|Prosciutto di parma||4 Ounce|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), chopped|
|Fish stock/Bottled clam juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
1) In a large bowl, scrub and place the clams and cover with water. Add the cornmeal and allow to rest for 1 hour. Drain and rinse well.
2) In a large heavy pot, saute the prosciutto in the oil over a low heat for 2 minutes.
3) Stir in the garlic, stock, wine, and cilantro, then cook over a medium heat for another 2 minutes.
4) Add the clams, cover and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the clams open. Discard any unopened clams.
5) In shallow bowls, place the hot clams, spoon over the cooking broth and serve immediately with crusty bread. Alternately, place the linguine in 4 pasta bowls, spoon over the clams and the cooking broth.
Calories 663 Calories from Fat 327
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.2%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g25.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.8 mg37.3%
Sodium 1525.9 mg63.6%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 42 g84.7%
Vitamin A 16.6% Vitamin C 51.4%
Calcium 13.5% Iron 145.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet