Zuppa D Clams
|Little neck clams||48 , well scrubbed|
|Stale italian bread||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Dipping)|
|Yellow onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||6 Ounce, undrained, broken up (2 Cans, 3 Ounce Each)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry oregano/1 teaspoon fresh variety||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Romano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) In a large heavy sauce pan, heat oil to sauté onion and garlic until golden for about 10 minutes.
2) Add rest of the ingredients leaving the clams.
3) Simmer for an hour, by continuous stirring.
4) Add cleaned clams just before serving.
5) Place over heat to steam in sauce until the clams are open.
6) Serve the clams with stale bread chunks for dipping.