Zuppa D Clams
|Little neck clams||48 , well scrubbed|
|Stale italian bread||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Dipping)|
|Yellow onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||6 Ounce, undrained, broken up (2 Cans, 3 Ounce Each)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry oregano/1 teaspoon fresh variety||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Romano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) In a large heavy sauce pan, heat oil to sauté onion and garlic until golden for about 10 minutes.
2) Add rest of the ingredients leaving the clams.
3) Simmer for an hour, by continuous stirring.
4) Add cleaned clams just before serving.
5) Place over heat to steam in sauce until the clams are open.
6) Serve the clams with stale bread chunks for dipping.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1742 Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.9%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26 mg8.7%
Sodium 6771.7 mg282.2%
Total Carbohydrates 339 g112.9%
Dietary Fiber 20.1 g80.4%
Sugars 69.7 g
Protein 48 g95.2%
Vitamin A 36.6% Vitamin C 97.5%
Calcium 53.2% Iron 112.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet