|Soft shell clams||2 Dozen|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Set the fat kettle on a warm but not hot part of the range. Fill it half full of fat and let it slowly heat to 375° F., or hot enough to brown a 1-inch cube of bread in 40 seconds to 1 minute.
2. Remove the clams from the scrubbed and rinsed shells and dry them on soft cheesecloth.
3. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper; dip the clams in the seasoned flour then in the egg beaten with milk, then in the crumbs.
4. Arrange 6 breaded clams in the frying basket and lower into the deep hot fat. Fry about
3 minutes, or until the clams are nicely browned. Drain on paper towels.
5. Continue until all are fried.