1. Combine the orange zest, orange juice, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
2. Heat over medium heat until steam starts to rise from the pan. Do not simmer (if does, remove from heat and let cool 1 minute).
3. While the juices are heating, whisk together in a bowl, the sugar, eggs, and yolk.
4. Once the zest/juice is hot, slowly drizzle into the sugar/egg mix, whisking constantly.
5. Now add all back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture has thickened. Temperature of mixture should be 170° and it clings to the back of the wooden spoon, about 3 minutes total.
5. Off heat, whisk in the cold unsalted butter one piece at a time, letting the first piece melt before adding the next.
6. Add the heavy cream and blend well.
7. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
8. Cover with plastic wrap, letting the plastic touch the surface of the curd so a skin doesn't form.
9. Put in the refrigerator until ready to use. Makes about 1 cup of curd. This will keep 1 week in the refrigerator and can be frozen.
10. Serve over desserts, or coat chicken or fish.
Sweet and tart creamy topping that tastes great with shortcakes, ice cream, angel food cake, cheesecake, and even chicken! Watch how easy it is to make citrus curd in this video by Chef Lisa. Another quick cooking recipe for you to enjoy!