Healthier Cinnabon Clone - From The Dr. Oz Show
|All purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs) (For the rolls)|
|Sugar||20 Tablespoon, divided (1/4 cup granulated for the rolls + 1 cup powdered for the frosting)|
|Regular salt||1 Teaspoon, divided (3/4 teaspoon or the rolls + 1/8 teaspoon for the frosting)|
|Rapid rise yeast||3 Teaspoon (For the rolls)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon (For the rolls)|
|Egg||2 (For the rolls)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For the rolls)|
|Buttermilk||1 Tablespoon (For the rolls)|
|Butter spread||11 Tablespoon, divided (Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil, (5 tbsp For the rolls + 1/2 cup, softened For the filling (Schmear), 1/4 cup For the frosting))|
|Dark brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (packed, For the filling (Schmear))|
|Makara cinnamon||4 Teaspoon (or Indonesian Korintje, For the filling (Schmear))|
|Xantham gum/1 tablespoon cornstarch||2 Teaspoon (For the filling (Schmear))|
|Light cream cheese||6 Ounce (cold, For the frosting)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (For the frosting)|
|Lemon extract||1 Drop (For the frosting)|
1. For the rolls: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda for the dry mixture
2. In another bowl, add in the beaten eggs and whisk well in buttermilk and water for the wet mixture. Add this wet mixture into the dry mixture and add in the butter spread and beat with a paddle until everything is incorporated together.
3. With a kneading hook, knead the dough for 15 minutes. Wrap this dough in plastic and place it in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F for baking the cinnabons.
5. Remove the plastic from the refrigerator and press the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten the dough with your hands for a few seconds, then with a rolling pin, shape the dough into a 20-inch-high by 2-inch-wide rectangle. With your hands stretch the dough as necessary to the proper dimensions.
6. Spread the butter spread over the top surface of the dough, leaving the bottom 1 inch of dough uncoated with spread.
7. For the filling (Schmear): In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and xantham gum. Pour this brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the dough and with your hands spread it to the edges, leaving the bottom 1 inch of dough uncoated with brown sugar-cinnamon.
8. Use a rolling pin to flatten the filling into the butter spread.
9. Roll the dough tightly starting at the top. Stretch the dough a little as you roll it down, so that there will be 5 rotations by the time you get to the bottom.
10. Brush a little water over the bottom 1 inch uncoated strip of dough and complete the rolling. Mark the approximate middle of the doughroll, then use a ruler to make 5 marks every 2 inches to the left of the middle make and 5 marks every 2 inches to the right of the middle mark. Use a serrated knife to cut at each mark to make 10 rolls (with the ends tossed).
11. Place 6 rolls evenly spaced out on parchment paper in a 9 * 13 inch baking pan and the other 4 in a parchment-lined 9*9-inch pan.
12. Place the pans into the oven along with a large bowl or pan full of boiling water. Rolls should proof for about 1 hour or until nearly full size in the pan.
13. Place the tray in the oven and bake it for 16 to 20 minutes or until light brown and the rolls should register around 170 degrees to 175 degrees in the middle. Spin the pans around 180 degrees approximately halfway through the baking.
14. For the frosting: While the dough bakes, make the frosting by whipping butter spread, cream cheese, salt, vanilla extract and lemon extract for 5 - 10 minutes on high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
15. Add powdered sugar to the above and then mix again slowly and then on high speed for 30 seconds. When the rolls come out of the oven, immediately cover each with the frosting.
16. Sprinkle these cinnamon rolls with ground cinnamon or colorful sprinklers and serve them as a whole along with breakfast or tea.
Calories 574 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.2%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g19.2%
Trans Fat 3.3 g
Cholesterol 44.3 mg14.8%
Sodium 599.4 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.3%
Sugars 49.3 g
Protein 11 g22.2%
Vitamin A 17.8% Vitamin C 0.13%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet