Christmas Cinnamon Stars
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Pound, grated|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
1. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
2. Grate almonds and set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff, not dry, peaks are formed.
4. Add confectioners' sugar gradually, beating constantly.
5. Continue beating for 5 min. with an electric beater on medium speed. Blend in lemon peel and cinnamon.
6. Set aside 1/2 cup of meringue for icing.
7. Fold almonds into remaining meringue mixture. Gently pat or roll out 3/8 in. thick on pastry canvas sprinkled with granulated sugar. Lightly sprinkle the top of the dough with more sugar. Cut out stars with a 2- to 2 1/2-in. star-shape cookie cutter dipped in confectioners' sugar. Carefully place stars on cookie sheets. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of the reserved meringue out onto each point of the star.
8. Bake at 325°F 15 to 18 min.
9. Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheets to cooling racks.