Green Tomato Chutney
|Green tomatoes||8 Pound|
|Onions||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Peppercorns/Pepper-1/4 tsp||1 Tablespoon|
|Mixed pickling spices||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm)|
|White vinegar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Core the tomatoes and slice into quarters.
2) Core the apples and chop them.
3) In a large kettle, combine the tomatoes, onions, brown sugar, salt, peppercorns, pickling spices, garlic and vinegar.
4) Allow the mixture to boil for 15 minutes.
5) Pass the mixture through a colander or food mill.
6) Return to heat and simmer for 4 hours, until the mixture is thick and clear.
7) In a saucepan, combine the apples, raisins and sugar.
8) Simmer over a low heat until the apple is soft.
9) Stir into the tomato mixture, blend thoroughly
10) Ladle the 4 pints mixture into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.
11) Use the Green Tomato Chutney as required.
Calories 26 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.07 g0.11%
Saturated Fat 0.01 g0.05%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 197.9 mg8.2%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.62 g2.5%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 0.42 g0.84%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 12.3%
Calcium 0.5% Iron 1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet