Chuck is an economical meat cut of any animal from the area between neck and shoulder blade. It is also called as 7-bone steak due to its bone shape. It has strong flavor because most of the connective tissue contained in it as collagen. It is usually used in pot roast, stew, and braised recipes.
There are 8 major types of meat cuts other than the Chuck:
1. Rib – It is the finest cut of meat. The best cuts include prime rib, short ribs and rib eye steaks. These cuts are known for the tenderness, good flavor, and juiciness.
2. Short Loin – It is the other part of meat which includes tenderloin, T-bone and porterhouse.
3. Sirloin – It is from the lower part of animal’s ribs which include the tenderloin and the top and bottom sirloins.
4. Round – It is from the animal’s rump. It is a lean cut and contains a little fat. It is one of tough cuts of meat.
5. Brisket - A cut from breast or lower chest. It is also not much tender.
6. Shank – It is the animal’s leg and one of the toughest meat cut.
7. Plate - It is the area just below ribs on animal’s front belly. It is usually tough and contains fat. It yields - the skirt and hanger steaks.
8. Flank – It is from the animal’s belly muscles. It is also a tough cut of meat.
Popular Recipe of Chuck
Chuck is seasoned with freshly ground black pepper, salt and olive oil. Sautéed vegetables are added, roasted with seasoned chuck in the oven for long and slow cooked to make pot roast.
Health and Nutrition facts
Serving size – 3 oz (85 g)
Approximate Values per serving (Calories - 293 cal, Fats – 21.8 g, Carbohydrates – 0 g, Protein – 22.6 g, Saturated fat – 8.7 g, Cholesterol – 88 mg, Sodium – 54 mg)
i) Chuck is rich in Vitamin – B3 (Niacin), B12, Iron, Zinc and Selenium,
ii) Chuck is an excellent source of quality proteins, and
iii) Chuck is low in Sodium.
iv) Chuck contains No sugars.
Major Health Benefits: Some of the major health benefits of Chuck are as follows –
1. It contains Selenium which is an antioxidant and lowers inflammation and pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Protein of Chuck helps in maintaining healthy muscles and skin.
3. It also contains Vitamin – B3 (Niacin) and B12. Vitamin B3 helps in stabilizing blood sugar level and B12 helps in lowering risk of heart diseases.
4. It supplies appreciable amount of Zinc which helps in healing of wounds.
5. The meat provides Iron which is required for oxygen transport through blood inside the body.
i. People engaged in Athletics and outdoor Sports
ii. People having high calorie requirement due to high body activity.
Who should avoid Chuck cut recipes?
People belonging to categories listed below should avoid Chuck:
i. Obese people – as it is high in saturated fats
ii. Diabetic people – as it is high in fats and cholesterol
iii. Weight watchers – as it is high in saturated fats
v. People having risk of heart attack – as it is high in cholesterol
vi. People with very little daily physical activity.