Corn and Shrimp Chowder
|Bacon strips||8 , cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Scallions (green and white)||6 Medium, chopped finely (separate the dark green parts)|
|Corn ears||8 , kernels removed|
|Russet potatoes||4 Small, peeled, diced|
|Carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Thyme sprigs||4 , remove leaves|
|Whole milk/2% milk||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shrimp||1 Pound, peeled, deveined|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
1. Place the sliced bacon in a pot and cook until crisp. Remove all but 2 tablespoon of the rendered fat and set the cooked bacon aside.
2. Prepare the other ingredients according to the list.
3. Add the white and light green parts of the scallions to the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
4. Put the corn, potato and shredded carrots. Stir and mix well.
5. Add the spices and thyme. Mix well.
6. Pour the milk and water. Add 3 of the cobs into the soup.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Bring pot to a soft simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until potato is cooked through. Remove the corn cobs.
8. Remove about 2 ½ cups of the soup with vegetables, allow cooling down. Blend and return to the pot. Mix well.
9. Add about 2 tablespoon dark green chopped scallion and the shrimp.
10. Cook for about 4 minutes or until shrimp is pink. Do not overcook the shrimp as it will become rubbery. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
11. In a serving bowl, serve the chowder. Garnish with some of the remaining dark green scallion and some of the crisped bacon.
Calories 614 Calories from Fat 124
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.6%
Saturated Fat 6 g30%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.7 mg37.2%
Sodium 584.7 mg24.4%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.4%
Dietary Fiber 11 g43.9%
Sugars 25.4 g
Protein 33 g65%
Vitamin A 85.4% Vitamin C 55.5%
Calcium 32.6% Iron 26.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet