Corn Chowder for Kids
|Onion||1 Small, diced|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or more, to taste)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Corn ears||4 Large, husked and corn kernels cut off the cob|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((I use 2%))|
|Potato||1 Large, peeled, cut into small dice|
1. Place the butter in a stock pot over medium heat and saute the onions with the salt for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and continue to cook an additional minute.
3. Add the corn kernels, corn cobs (for additional flavor and thickener), stock, milk and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the corn cobs from the soup and discard.
6. Serve warm with bread or bread sticks.
If you want a thicker chowder, puree half of the finished soup in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Calories 578 Calories from Fat 124
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.7%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.8 mg10.3%
Sodium 958.7 mg39.9%
Total Carbohydrates 105 g35%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.3%
Sugars 21.6 g
Protein 22 g43.5%
Vitamin A 20.6% Vitamin C 68%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet