Thymed Red Pepper and Corn Chowder
|Salt pork/Salt bacon||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cubed|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained (Fresh / Frozen / Canned)|
|Chopped thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Thyme sprig||1 (For Garnish)|
1) In a heavy casserole, fry the salt pork or bacon.
2) Remove and set the meat aside.
3) To the hot fat in the casserole, add the pepper and onion and cook till the onion is tender.
4) Add the stock and bring the contents to a boil.
5) Reduce the heat to simmer and add the thyme, corn, bay leaf, milk and cream.
6) Bring the contents back to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Gently simmer for a few minutes, till the corn is cooked.
7) Put the fried meat back in the pan.
8) Taste and, if required, season with salt and pepper.
9) Transfer the hot preparation to a serving platter and serve while still piping hot. Thyme makes a good garnish. The preparation is delectable and can be served as an appetizer or even a side dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2568 Calories from Fat 1185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 133 g204.8%
Saturated Fat 70.9 g354.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 389.1 mg129.7%
Sodium 1429.3 mg59.6%
Total Carbohydrates 280 g93.4%
Dietary Fiber 64.2 g256.9%
Sugars 27.1 g
Protein 62 g123.3%
Vitamin A 167.2% Vitamin C 322.3%
Calcium 52.3% Iron 24.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet