Bacon Seafood Chowder
|Bread rolls||2 Large (Crisp, Rustic)|
|Sunflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Smoked bacon||2 Ounce|
|Small onion||1 , chopped|
|Celery stick||1 Small, chopped|
|Carrots||1 Small, chopped|
|Potato||3 Ounce, peeled and diced|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Fish stock||1⁄4 Pint|
|Cod||5 Ounce, skinned, cut into bit sized pieces (Uncolored)|
|Fresh chives||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Prawns||2 Ounce, peeled and cooked|
|Single cream||4 Fluid Ounce|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
2. Cut the top off each bread roll, scoop out and discard the centres and place on a baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil, butter and fry the bacon for 4-5 minutes until crispy. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
4. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually pour in the stock and milk, stirring all the time until smooth. Add the bay leaf and bring to the boil, stirring.
5. Add cod to the pan. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the fish and potatoes are tender.
6. Snip chives, reserving 6 whole ones. Add the snipped chives into the soup with the prawns and cook to just warm through. Stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. In soup bowls, place one bread roll in each one. Ladle the soup into the bread rolls and garnish with the reserved chives. Sprinkle with a little cayenne and serve at once.