|Shucked clams/2 dozen small hard shell clams, shucked||1 Quart (Quahog)|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Onion||1 , peeled and finely minced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled and thinly sliced|
|Whole milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Crackers||6 , split|
1) Strain the clams and keep the clam liquor aside.
2) From each clam, remove the rough neck portion and separate the belly, or soft part, from the tough part.
3) Chop the tough parts and place the soft parts in the fridge, covered.
4) Over medium heat, place a medium skillet and saute the salt pork till it is golden and crisp.
5) Drain it on paper towels.
6) Saute the onions till they are translucent.
7) To the skillet, add the water and reserved clam liquor.
8) Into a slow cooker, scoop the contents of the skillet.
9) Add the salt, pepper, potatoes, salt pork bits and chopped firm clam parts.
10) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
11) When it is time to serve, add the milk, cover the cooker again and turn the heat to HIGH.
12) Once the milk is simmering, turn off the heat and add the soft parts of the clams. Cover again and let the chowder sit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
13) Serve in bowl.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2641 Calories from Fat 1325
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 148 g227.7%
Saturated Fat 67 g334.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 574.6 mg191.5%
Sodium 7207.5 mg300.3%
Total Carbohydrates 192 g63.9%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.2%
Sugars 58.1 g
Protein 148 g295.4%
Vitamin A 98.2% Vitamin C 213.9%
Calcium 146.2% Iron 127.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet