Hearty Fish Chowder
|Sliced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peeled and cubed potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, coarsely chopped (1 Can)|
|Condensed cream of celery soup||10 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Frozen haddock fillets/Frozen cod fillets||1 Pound, thawed and diced|
|Whole kernel corn||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
1. Remove the frozen fish from freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. Remove any bones, skin, if any, and dice the fish fillets into 1-inch pieces. Keep aside.
3. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat.
4. Add onion and sautÃ© it until it is soft and light golden.
5. Add the potatoes, basil, seasonings, and chopped tomatoes to the pot and stir well.
6. Pour in the soup and broth and stir well.
7. Allow the soup to come to a boil.
8. Cover the casserole and reduce heat. Let the vegetables simmer for about 20 minutes until tender.
9. Add the fish cubes and corn to the boiling liquid and gently stir.
10. Let the soup simmer for a few more minutes, just until the fish is cooked and flakes easily.
11. Ladle the hot soup, vegetables, corn and fish into soup bowls.
12. Serve with crusty bread.