Creamy Corn Chowder
|Sweet red pepper||1 , diced|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Low-sodium soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) In a 2-quart saucepan, heat oil and saute the red pepper and scallions for about 3 minutes or until they turn crispy tender.
2) Stir in the flour cooking for about 2 minutes, or until the flour loses its raw flavor. Stir the flour continuously.
3) Remove the saucepan from the flame and let cool.
4) In a blender, add in 1 cup of corn and 1 cup of skim milk.
5) Add the puree into the saucepan along with the remaining corn, milk, soy sauce and grated nutmeg.
6) Cook the chowder on medium flame, stirring often. Turn down the flame and simmer for 5 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
7) Serve the Cream Corn Chowder hot, with breadsticks on the side.
Calories 301 Calories from Fat 59
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2 mg0.7%
Sodium 101.6 mg4.2%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 10 g19.6%
Vitamin A 25% Vitamin C 73.1%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet