|Salt pork/Smoked bacon||1⁄2 Pound, cut into small, thin strips 1/2 pound|
|Onions||1 Pound, chopped|
|Potatoes||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), peeled and diced|
|Firm white fish fillets||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces|
|Fish stock||2 Cup (32 tbs) (At Boiling Point)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Fresh thyme sprigs/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme||3 (Leaves)|
|Dried dill weed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1. In a large pot or heavy kettle, saute the pork or bacon strips until crisp.
2. Remove to paper towelling.
3. Add onions and butter, and stir until onions soften.
4. Stir in the potato dice.
5. Place the fish pieces in a layer over the potato-onion mixture.
6. Pour the fish stock over, and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
7. Cool, then chill if not wanted at once.
8. Shortly before serving, mix the spices, herbs and seasoning with the cream and milk.
9. Bring the chowder to a boil if cooled.
10. Pour over the flavoured cream and milk, and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.