|Stewing chicken||4 Pound, cut up|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, peeled, diced|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Sage leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, rubbed|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Chicken fat/Margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Half and half||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Celery leaves||3 (As Required)|
|Parsley leaves||3 (As Required)|
1) In a large kettle, put chicken with bay leaf, carrot, garlic, celery leaves, parsley, salt and sage.
2) Pour in water and then simmer the mixture, covered for about 2 hours until tender.
3) Allow chicken to cool in stock.
4) Take off meat from bones, and cut chicken in bite-size pieces.
5) Remove fat from broth saving 2 Tblsp.
6) Brown onion and potato in 2 Tblsp of fat.
7) Pour in 2 cups of chicken stock, and cook the mixture until potatoes are just tender, not mushy.
8) Add in chicken pieces, half-and-half, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
9) Allow the mixture to come to simmering point. Ensure not to boil or the cream will curdle.
10) Pour in a little water if chowder seems too thick.
11) Garnish with celery and parsley and serve hot at once.
Calories 1281 Calories from Fat 659
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.9%
Saturated Fat 25.7 g128.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 358.7 mg119.6%
Sodium 2114.6 mg88.1%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.5%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 103 g206.3%
Vitamin A 74.3% Vitamin C 73.2%
Calcium 24.1% Iron 32.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet