Manhattan Clam Chowder
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Canned tomatoes||12 Ounce|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, diced (Pared)|
1. In large kettle, saute bacon until almost crisp and cook adding onion cook until tender—about 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, celery and parsley and cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Reserving liquid in 1-quart measure drain tomatoes and add to vegetables in kettle.
4. Drain clams and set aside.
5. Add clam liquid to tomato liquid and water to make 1-1/2 quarts liquid.
6. Pour into kettle and bring to boiling adding salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme.
7. Reduce heat and simmer with cover for 45 minutes.
8. Add potatoes cover and cook for 20 minutes.
9. Chop clams add to chowder and simmer, uncovered for15 minutes.
10. Serve hot.