Creamy New England Chicken Chowder
|Bacon slices||4 , chopped|
|Scallions||6 , trimmed and thinly sliced (White And Green Parts)|
|Corn kernels||10 Ounce, frozen, thawed (1 Package)|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Skinless, Boneless, Breasts Or Thighs)|
|Evaporated skim milk/Low-fat milk||12 Ounce|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon, dried|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Crackers||3 , garnish (Soda Or Oyster, As Required, For Garnish)|
|Soda crackers/Oyster crackers||4 (As Required, For Garnish)|
1) In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over a medium heat, until crisp.
2) Stir in the scallions and saute for 1 minute until just soft .
3) Stir in the corn, thyme and broth, allow to simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
4) Stir in the chicken and simmer covered for 3 to 5 minutes until cook through.
5) Stir in the evaporated milk and simmer uncovered for 1 minute until thoroughly heated.
6) Season with the salt to taste and stir in the red pepper flakes.
7) Turn off the heat and stir in the parsley.
8) Ladle the soup into soup bowls, crumble over the crackers and serve immediately.
Calories 647 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.4%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95.7 mg31.9%
Sodium 763 mg31.8%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 14 g56.1%
Sugars 13.1 g
Protein 41 g81.2%
Vitamin A 19.9% Vitamin C 17.4%
Calcium 27.6% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet